Glutamine is an amino acid and amino acids are the building blocks of protein.
Glutamine (also known as L-glutamine with the L- identifying it as an amino acid) is the most abundant amino acid in both the blood and muscles. When we exercise, our glutamine stores are in high demand, which is why supplementation becomes important for optimal performance.
The following are the main benefits of glutamine, particularly for those who work out intensively:
1) Supports the immune system, meaning less risk of contracting colds and influenza
2) Boosts levels of growth hormone, leading to stronger, bigger and more powerful muscles
3) Decreases the catabolic effects on muscle tissue (helps in the preservation of muscle)
4) Enhances glycogen storage (allows for larger capacities of the body’s preferred source of energy), thus raising the threshold triggering the onset of lactic acid. This essentially means one can train at higher intensity levels.
Personal dosage and timing:
– During bulking season – 10g a day; 5g during workout and 5g post workout
– During shredding season – 15g a day; 5g in the morning, 5g during workout and 5g post workout
To fitness with love,