Omega 3s – arguably the star player in the team of vitamins and minerals, bringing a vast array of goods to the field, which absence can lead to under-performance.
If you’re a lifter, an athlete or a runner, this is how your daily dose of omega 3s will help you:
1. Omega 3s are powerful inflammatories meaning they’ll speed up your exercise recovery and reduce the degree of muscle soreness.
2. They increase protein synthesis which is the process by which your body transform the protein you eat into the protein in your muscles. Bottomline, omega 3s help you get bigger, stronger and faster.
3. Omega 3s being fatty acids, and the human brain being almost 60% fat, this mineral enhances brain function in terms of reaction times.
4. Omega 3s increase neuromuscular function and reduce fatigue.
5. Supplementing yourself with adequate levels of omega 3s allows your body to better burn fat for energy while exercising.
6. Omega 3s help raise the guard against brittle bones by improving calcium absorption – a big plus for those involved in contact sports.
Omega 3s come in three types: EPA, DHA and ALA. Long-chain fatty acids, EPA and DHA, are found in fish, fish oil supplements, and algae extract. The short-chain form, ALA, is found in plant sources like nuts, flax seed, chia seeds, avocado, and olive oil.
Now your body can only use the long-chain omega 3s. So, to make use of other forms, it converts ALA into EPA and then into DHA. Unfortunately, this process is anything but efficient. Which is why if you’re exercising intensely, supplementing becomes key.
One other very important consideration is the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 that we consume. The proper proportion of omega 3 to omega 6 ranges from 2:1 to 4:1; anything less causes inflammation leading to negative health consequences.
Since omega-6 is found in a lot of common foods, such as eggs, meat, and vegetable oils, it is easily obtained in our diet and as a result, over consumed in our society. When over consumed in proportion to omega 3 fatty acids, these otherwise essential good fats can as aforementioned undermine our health. This again highlights the importance of consuming sufficient omega 3s.
Personal dosage and timing:
1000mg per day right after breakfast.
To fitness with love,