Over the past 3 months since the onset of Covid19 in Europe we inevitably found ourselves spending much more time at home. To this effect, from my conversations with friends and followers it transpires that one of the major challenges in staying in shape was therefore living in close proximity to the kitchen with food available 24/7 at arm’s length.
In this respect, from a personal standpoint what I noticed was that I have been craving something sweet soon after lunch and dinner and it took me a daily dose of discipline to avoid giving in to consuming empty calories, being conscious of the fact that calorie tracking is highly relevant to staying lean. Whereas a cup of good black coffee has always been an effective fix to my cravings, I also appreciate that for many of you this may not be good enough.
Enter the Mirror Friendly Berry Gummies…
These pretty little gummies, which are being unwrapped to you courtesy of our avid follower Donalda Karnauskaite, provide the right balance between putting a sweet craving to rest with quality ingredients and going very gentle on your calorie goals for the day.
The following ingredients were used to make approx 8 cupcakes (or 48 cubes) of Mirror Friendly Berry Gummies:
– 150ml unsweetened almond milk
– 15g gelatine (Note: the less gelatine you use the more jelly your gummies; i.e. if you want your gummies to have a thicker consistency use more gelatine)
– 200g berries (Note: 100g strawberries and 100g blueberries were used here)
– 15g whey protein powder (Note: coconut whey protein powder was used here)
– 30ml lime juice (1 lime)
Tip: if your gummies are not sweet enough, you can add a dash of sweetener such as stevia or honey; furthermore, if you like a minty taste you can chuck some mint leaves in the mix.
Step by step instructions for preparing the berry gummies:
1. Pour the gelatine in a cup of almond milk and stir it with a spoon. Leave to rest until the gelatine starts to bloom in within 5 to 7 minutes.
2. In the meantime place the berries, lime juice, mint leaves and sweetener of choice (if applicable) in a pot/saucepan. Stir and cook over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Pour the gelatine and almond milk mixture in a high speed blender and add the protein powder and berry mixture to it. Blend until you get a smooth consistency.
4. Pour the blended mix into a tray (for cupcakes, ice cubes or any other shape you like) and place in a fridge for 1.5 hours.
Note: you might want to add some toppings on the gummies (such as coconut flakes, cocoa nibs or berries) in which case you can do so after 10 minutes in the fridge, after which you would continue refrigerating for the remaining suggested time; another idea would be to put some small berries inside the gummies, in which case you can do so immediately after pouring the mix into your tray.
5. After 90 minutes you can enjoy your low-calorie sweet and healthy gummies (best paired with a good cup of coffee!) 💟 Any leftovers should be kept refrigerated in an air tight container.
The approximate nutritional values per cupcake or cube of Mirror Friendly berry gummies based on the above ingredients are as follows:
Calories: 28 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3g (Note: naturally occurring sugars from berries)
Fats: 0.5g (Note: no trans fats in here)
Calories: 5 kcal
To fitness with love,