We recently had a pot luck party at work. I know that most people tend to bring easy store bought items or goodies. So I wanted to ensure that my team had a healthy, but tasty, option.
Enter the Mirror Friendly Fall Harvest Kale Salad…
The following ingredients were used to make the kale salad for 4 persons:
– 1 bunch (organic) kale washed
– 100g fresh cranberries
– 40g goat cheese
– a squirt of lemon
– 50g pecans
– 100g sweet potato
Step by step instructions in preparing the Mirror Friendly Harvest Fall Kale Salad:
1) Preheat the oven to 175 celsius. While the oven is warming up, wash the cranberries, dry well and lay them flat on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
2) Put the cranberries in the oven for approximately 7 mins so that they soften. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. The time may take a bit longer or shorter depending on your oven. You may want to keep them in even longer if you prefer them softer. When they are ready, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
3) Meanwhile, remove the kale from the stems and cut the kale leaf into smaller bit sized pieces.
4) Place the kale in a bowl and squirt some lemon on it. Massage the kale (yes you read that right – massage it) with your hands for about 2 minutes. Massaging kale helps to soften the texture of the kale and makes it easier to digest.
5) Place the kale in a salad bowl and add the cranberries and goat cheese to the salad.
6) If you like, you can add some pecans and a baked sweet potato. I actually did that in the one I brought to the potluck to give it some more “bite” and turn it into a heartier salad.
7) Top it with whatever dressing you like – I left mine free of dressing as I prefer salads plain. But a nice light combination of oil and vinegar would be great!
The nutritional values per serving of Mirror Friendly Fall Harvest Kale Salad based on the above ingredients are:
Calories: 262 kcal
of which fibre: 2g
of which sugar: 2g (Note: naturally occurring sugars from dates)
Fats: 18g (Note: no trans fats in here)
Note: The above includes sweet potato and pecans
To fitness with love,