Recently cauliflower was on sale for a great deal so I happened to purchase several and experimented with different cauliflower recipes. I love cauliflower because it’s such a versatile vegetable and a nutritional powerhouse. It contains several vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, several B vitamins plus fibre and a dose of antioxidants.
Enter the Mirror Friendly Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup…
One of my recipe successes was a delicious cauliflower and cheddar soup. It was so rich and creamy you would think it was totally unhealthy. In fact, it’s so tasty I’m positive you could win over even the pickiest of eaters in your household – and you don’t even have to tell them it’s cauliflower!
The following ingredients were used to make 2 portions of soup:
– 1 medium size head of cauliflower
– 60g of sharp cheddar
– 1/2 cup of milk of your choice (e.g. almond, goat, cow, cashew, rice, etc.)
– 1 small white onion chopped
– 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– veggie water from cooked cauliflower (Note: I didn’t put quantities because it all depends on how thick you like your soup)
Step by step instructions in preparing the cauliflower cheddar soup:
1) Remove the green leaves from the cauliflower and wash thoroughly.
2) Cut cauliflower into quarters and place in a pot filled about 1/3 of the way with water (you don’t want to totally submerge the cauliflower but you want enough water to cook it so that it’s a bit softer then steaming it). Cook until the cauliflower is tender.
3) Meanwhile, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until tender and the onion starts to release its juices.
4) Once the cauliflower is cooked, let it cool a little then remove it from the pot and reserve the water.
5) In a high speed blender, add your cauliflower, onion and garlic mix, milk, cheese and veggie water and blend at a high speed until smooth and creamy and all ingredients are pureed. Add more veggie water as required until desired consistency is reached.
Note: I used a Nutribullet for this recipe, however, you can also use an immersion blender if you wish. If you do use an immersion blender, you will want to grate your cheese first to make it easier to blend.
6) Store in a glass air tight container in your fridge for up to 4 days.
The nutritional values for 1 portion of cauliflower cheddar soup based on the above ingredients are as follows:
Calories: 202 kcal
of which fibre: 2.5g
of which sugar: 2.5g (naturally occurring in eggplant)
Fats: 18g (Note: no trans fats in here)
To fitness with love,
Leave a Reply