A wholesome delicious breakfast is the perfect reason for getting out of bed and starting the day on the right foot; hence first thing in the morning we religiously prepare a bowl of porridge and decorate it with a few other healthy ingredients. So tasty that we would easily go for a second portion had we been unaware of how easily excess calories, albeit healthy ones, can damage the precious waistline.
A few days ago while enjoying our breakfast Andrew broke out this thought: “Since the morning porridge is our favourite meal of the day, why don’t we try baking it so that we can enjoy it even later while we’re out on the go as a healthy snack in between meals?” Brilliant! Or actually even find breakfast ready when oversleeping and having to rush out in the morning…
Enter the Mirror Friendly Porridge Cake…
The same day I gave this idea a go and the result was class! Here’s the recipe in case you want to give it a go.
The following ingredients were used to make 9 squares of porridge cake:
– 215g oats (2 cups)
– 2 eggs
– 50g 2% fat greek yogurt (3 tablespoons)
– 1/2 banana (60g)
– 60g whey protein powder (2 scoops)
– 240ml unsweetened coconut milk (1 cup)
– 40g almonds and walnuts
– 70g frozen blueberries (1/2 cup)
– 5g baking powder (1 teaspoon)
– 2.5g cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
Step by step instructions in preparing the porridge cake:
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2) Mix all the dry ingredients (excluding banana and blueberries) in a large bowl.
3) Blend banana with 100ml of water in a blender until smooth.
4) Chop nuts.
5) Add banana mixture, blueberries and nuts to the mixed dry ingredients in the bowl.
6) Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
7) Let it cool down. Cut into 9 squares. Do not eat all at one go! 🙂
The nutritional values for 1 square of porridge cake based on the above ingredients are as follows:
Calories: 170 kcal
of which fibre: 3g
of which sugar: 2g
Fats: 6g (Note: no trans fats in here)
To fitness with love,